Baby H: 5 months old!

We started month 5 being more independent and enjoying tv time with the family. Our little rascal has fun sitting all by himself on the couch watching tv. He needs to be supported because he falls forward face down or sideways. He is trying really hard to sit up and can bring himself up if he starts to fall forward. He will sit for a little while watching tv then asks for us to pick him up. He is no longer fascinated with fingers in his mouth, but is memorized with opening and closing his hands. He will do this for over 10 minutes, we find it hilarious!
Haskell wakes up every morning by 6am and I nurse him. During the weekends he plays well alone in his crib while mom and dad sleep some more. He ends up falling back asleep until 8am. He is hungry and acting like if I don't feed him I will watch him die of starvation… a bit dramatic but it works and mom wakes up to feed him! He does not get formula until past 10am. He is now transitioning to mostly formula. He has done this without skipping a beat, the kid is a trooper. My supply has adjusted smoothly. No pain, leaking, or soreness.
If you are doing fine with breast feeding exclusively, great! Do not start adding formula in the evenings because you hope it will keep baby full at night and therefore, asleep. It does not work. Haskell gets formula all day up to night time and he still wakes up, maybe out of routine, but more than likely because he is not ready to sleep through the night. I will wait on him since I have no control!

Haskell has zero tolerance for belly time. We have to force it each time. He is so advanced on holding his own weight and wanting to be on his feet all the time that I am not too worried about it. He pushes his butt up high on the air and wants to crawl, anything other than being on his belly. He just hates it. I am going to continue to do belly time even if it is 2 minutes.

Our older kiddos are doing great and continue to be great little helpers. They know how to fix a bottle so we can run errands or leave the house ready for baby! A happy baby is a happy family!
I will be writing a post about all the things we do or buy that are truly unnecessary and can wait until wanted or actually needed by baby and parents. I have three nursing covers that I have used maybe once. I have socks that (newborn size) were never used.
Here is where we are as a 5 month old:

Weight: He is at 16.8 with clothes on. You can prob take away at least 6-8 ounces for clothing. He is a chunky monkey and very long. He was at almost 27 inches on his 4 month wellcheck, so I am sure we are there now.

Clothing: Haskell is wearing 9 months clothing. 3-6 months were skipped bc he was too long. I finally went shopping for Haskell last week. I had so much from my shower that I did not have a need. He is growing so quickly that I finally had to break down and go find some good pieces for Church and for Christmas. See pics below for all the pieces I have ready from today's laundry!
On the top two pictures he is wearing 12 months from Baby Gap
Sleep: Haskell goes to bed between 8pm-9pm and fusses when we have gone past his night time. He takes longer naps during the day but wake ups all through the night. He is all over the place on waking up at night. by midnight he wakes up, sometimes he is hungry so I nurse him. Sometimes, I wake him up around 11ish to nurse him. He wakes up again around 2am and finally at 4am. I am doing nothing to promote or stop this behavior so I cant be too upset when I am walking around half asleep. It has become a routine and a way of life for me. I no longer need the extra sleep to make up for waking up at night unless I get ill. Generally I am up for about 5 minutes and we are both back to sleep.

Social: Haskell is still my traveling buddy and gets lots of opportunity to socialize with everyone around us. We make all PTA meetings, older kiddos school activities and naps while mom walks off some of the baby weight he helped me gain! His personality is very friendly, he does great in social settings. He is only serious when he is sleepy or past 8pm.

Diet: Haskell continues to be fed both breast milk and formula. We are now mainly doing formula ( Similac Advance formula purchased at Costco). I have started weaning him slowly by reducing the feedings on breasts. He has not acted like he cares. I am currently breast feeding at night before or after he is in bed and in the mornings when he wakes up. He gets about 6 ounces each time. In addition to those 4 feedings, he has about 6 bottles of 6 ounces each. I always start with 4 ounces and have to turn around and make 2 more ounces. Everyone takes turns feeding him. I don't plan on introducing solids until past 6 months, mainly because my husband has asked that I wait and because we are following our pediatrician advise. She is very conservative and it works well with us. I am not sure if I will try rice cereal, I honestly don't remember doing rice cereal with my first two girls. I will discuss what foods to introduce first with our pediatrician and go from there. I am not big on following any specific book out there but like to read to compare what others have tried or recommend. In the end I follow what works for my family based on our way of life.
Health: Haskell and I experienced our first head cold. I got it worse but continued to nurse him though I was feeling like crap. Baby boy did just fine, he had a few nights of a stuffy nose and fussed a little more so I nursed him more on those few days. We finally got through the worse of it Thanksgiving night and the day after. I got to feeling pretty bad and felt absolutely drained. Lucky for us, my sister kept the girls from Thanksgiving dinner until Sat eve. I got to rest on Friday while my husband worked. No one else got it, so we were lucky! Other than a head cold, Haskell has never experienced any other illness. He did great with shots, no reaction, a mild temperature that made his rosy cheeks a bit brighter. So far he is a happy baby who always smiles.

Milestones: Haskell can pick himself up and sit back up, it is a neat thing to watch. He is not able to sit up alone and continues to give it a try. He is still very chatty and now likes to talk while I am either nursing him or bottle feeding him. He has figured out how to let you know he does not want to be fed. He closes his mouth in a straight line and jerks his head to the left or right very quickly. He also makes chocking sounds, this is really cute because clearly he is not chocking but he gets the point across.

Postpartum: I am feeling pretty good now days that I am back to working out and by working out, I mean walking! We are walking at least 3 miles around a nature preserve near our home. Pushing the stroller up those hills has to be helping me with something! SO far I reached my goal of 140! My next goal is to drop another 5 lbs and keep it off. Pretty hard during the holidays,but I will try my best as my kids repeat at whole lot! When I got pregnant I was at 135 which is 10 lbs more than where I should have been at. Thanksgiving was a really good excuse to relax and just eat everything in sight. I ate so much it was ridiculous! My favorite dessert was the pumpkin cream cheese cupcakes my niece Caroline made! I even brought some home from aunt Linda's.

Time has gone by so quickly, I am loving being at home. I had so many reservations about staying home and how I would cope with my husband being at home all day working. So far it has been unbelievably easy. There are times that I don't even get to see him because he is in and out of the office traveling to interview the folks he is investigating for fraud. Sometimes he will even eat at his desk, I make him lunch and let him take care of business. We have no issues there. We are lucky for the days that he can come sit with us outside while on a break or at lunch. Being at home with my husband was my biggest fear while discussing my stay at home and taking care of our newborn. As single parents when we met, we were used to our space and routines and as a married working couple we had developed a system. He understood and was very supportive of my fears. Now days, Haskell and I are very lucky when we get to see him once or twice a day. We are busy playing and laughing and doing a thousand chores and tackling the endless supply of dirty laundry. We have our own stuff to keep us busy!

I was happy for today, a new week after a much needed time with the family and lots of eating.. I am walking this eve with my two dear friends, Jen and Katelyn. Jen was a neighbor from my husband's first home after his divorce, they were the best neighbors and we became as close as family. We got lucky again after we purchased our current home with amazing neighbors next door. Katelyn and Mark have become family as well. Our kiddos play together and they are the nicest people you can meet. We also have two more families on our street that are great. Mark and Julie share their girls all the time so they can play with ours. I can go to any of these folks at any time, day or night and they would help me with anything. We are extremely blessed! Both Jen and Katelyn take care of Haskell the rascal while I am busy finishing up my Real Estate (i am now done and waiting on License) or running a quick errand. All these things help contribute to my overall well being and has helped me keep sane in these first 5 months. Katelyn and I can always chat about a hard day of work at home and as a Manager with a nice glass of wine. ha.

Happy Monday!

Speak Your Mind